A few nights ago, my best friend from school sent me a quote: “Nothing will ruin your 20’s more than thinking you should have your life together already.” Now if I were to ever get a tattoo, it might just be this quote (obviously in a much prettier language).
This piece of advice really resonated with me, and with my Instagram followers. (After posting, it quickly become one of my most liked posts of 2014). Us twenty-something females love hearing a good piece of advice, whether that be through a friend, parent, celebrity we love or through a Pinterest quote. And we love sharing them with each other even more.
So over the last few days I’ve collected a number of thoughts that I’ve actually been collecting for the last four years since turning 20, the most important advice I’ve heard and actually said to myself in perhaps the most turbulent, ever-changing and emotional decade we all live through, our twenties.
1. Keep your friendship circle tight.
2. Stop dieting. Accept and love who and what you are and never ever give up chocolate.
3. When worrying about the slightest thing just think: Will it matter in a year? If not, stop worrying. It’s a waste of time.
4. Learn, love and accept your bodyshape, and dress accordingly. Not everyone looks good in a body-con.
5. Being nice to people in the most undervalued and ignored rule in the world. So start being nice.
6. Listen to your body, when you need to sleep, sleep. When you need to eat, eat and when you need a duvet day in front of trashy TV, do just that.
7. When you’re on your period, crying 247, weighing 15 stone, being paranoid everyone is talking about you/hates you and feeling angry at EVERYONE is the norm. Just go with it.
8. Having your heart broken at least once is the worst and possibly the most important lesson you will learn growing up.
9. Life spent laughing is the best way to invest your time.
10. Fat days are there so you can appreciate how good you look on non fat days.
11. Read a much as you can. Like every other muscle in your body, your brain needs exercise.
12. Those ‘friends’ who make you feel shit about yourself when you leave them. You don’t need them. Get rid.
13. Invest your time properly. In your family, good friends and most importantly yourself.
14. You know those amazing girlfriends that you never see anymore? Ring them, tell them you love them.
15. Stop spending so much time on social media. And don’t take everything you see, read and hear at face value. Everyone is hiding behind it.
16. The most important relationship is the relationship you have with yourself. If someone or something comes in-between that, move on, your stuck with yourself for a lot longer.
17. On life in general sometimes: Fuck it.
18. Just be yourself.
19. Stop doing what you think you should be doing. You live once, go out there and do exactly what you want to do. Go for it.
20. Never let the opinions of those who don’t matter, matter.